(Igló, Igolouzaza, Iglosasa, Iglawya, ger. Zipser
Neuendorf, Zipser Neudorf, Neuendorf, Neudorf, Newendorph, Newndorff, Newstat,
lat. Villa Nova, Noua Civitas) is a county town in Kosice district.
First written document about Spišská Nová Ves town is form the Year 1268 and is mentioned as Villa Nova. Nevertheless, this town is surely much older.
Latest archeological research showed that the old Slavic lived in the area of current Spišská Nová Ves even in the time of Great Moravian Empire. After the fall of Great Moravian Empire life in this area continues till nowadays. Archaeologists assume that it is the ancient Slavic Iglov.
After the Tatars attacks let King Belo the IV bring new settlers to ruined area, families form Czech but mostly from Saxony, where the sea has flooded a big area. The immigrated settlers has created “Saxony colony” and in the years 1243 and 1271 they have acquired many privileges (they did not need to pay taxes or toll when passing gates, etc.) Nová Ves was renamed to German as “Neudorf”, to Latin as “Nova Villa” and later had Hungarians renamed it to “Igló”. In same sources we can find names as “Newendarf”, “Iglovo” or “Iglow”.
The document from Ostrihom archbishop Filip from the day 29th of November 1268 is the first written mention about Spišská Nová Ves with the name „Villa Nova“. Nevertheless, it is sure that the year 1268 is not the establishing year of the town because in the document it is mentioned that Spišská Nová Ves as settled village already existed and that it already had a church and a rectory. We do not know when it was established but it raised by merger of old Slavic village “Iglov” and newer village “Nová Ves”.
In the years 1892 up to 1894 there were built up new the neogothic church tower 87 meters high according to the plans of professor Imrich Steindel. The costs for overall rebuilding were 42 000 golds. the Neogothic church tower is the most important and most characteristic part of the town silhouette and is the highest church tower in Slovakia!